The Graduate Student Council’s (GSC) main purpose is to ensure that the interests of the graduate students of the Biomedical Engineering (BME) department are being represented. The GSC organizes academic (e.g. recruitment weekend, orientation, retreat) as well as social events (e.g. summer BBQ, basketball tournament, holiday potluck) to support the graduate student body and facilitate community building. The GSC works alongside departmental leadership to improve the graduate student experience.
All BME graduate students are encouraged to reach out to the GSC (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any issues or concerns.
- Mental Health Services – We know that these trying times are causing distress in our community. We are concerned about students who feel isolated and disconnected from their support systems. Hence, we urge everyone who is not feeling well to contact the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) (https://caps.umich.edu/). CAPS offers free, confidential and individual counseling, as well as support groups for graduate students.
- The department has also compiled a list of resources that can be found here: https://bme.umich.edu/about/mental-wellness/
- Financial Resources:
- Scholarships and fellowships – To learn about internal and external funding resources, please visit the following website: https://scholarships.engin.umich.edu/graduate/
- Emergency funds – If you are facing financial hardship, and need assistance, University of Michigan’s Dean of Students Office (https://deanofstudents.umich.edu/article/student-emergency-funds) is ready to assist you.
- Food insecurity – Maize and Blue Cupboard was established to help Michigan students and staff that are experiencing food insecurity (https://mbc.studentlife.umich.edu/)
- Student Legal Services is a full-service law office that can advise you regarding your legal rights and represent you in Washtenaw County courts. If you need legal advice and/or service, please call 734-763-9920 to schedule an appointment: https://studentlegalservices.umich.edu/
- Student Organizations – The University of Michigan has hundreds of student organizations on campus. Please visit MaizePages (https://maizepages.umich.edu/) to learn more about all the student organizations that could interest you.
The Biomedical Engineering Graduate Student Council is committed to creating, supporting, and sustaining an inclusive community. We are always open to suggestions about how we can support our entire student body – regardless of race, ethnicity, age, gender and gender identity, language, religion, sexual orientation, ability or disability, and socioeconomic status. Please see our department’s DEI website for more details about the current state of our efforts and resources: https://bme.umich.edu/about/diversity-equity-and-inclusion/
For up to date leadership information and pictures of recent events, please see our Maize Pages website: https://maizepages.umich.edu/organization/bme-gsc
List of events or programs that GSC leads:
- Fall Orientation
- PhD Mentor/Mentee Program
- Masters Mentor/Mentee Program
- Student Speaker Series
- Holiday Potluck
- Summer BBQ
- BME 5K Race
- Basketball Tournament
- Paint and Pizza
- Midwest Speaker Exchange