“We’re in a really unique position to make these students successful.”Dave Sept
Two top colleges, one powerful combination
As a joint department, Michigan BME combines the strengths of two schools that are among the very best in their fields - the U-M College of Engineering and the Michigan Medical School. It’s one of just two universities in the country with this broad level of excellence, but we don’t stop there.
Add the entrepreneurial punch of U-M’s Ross School of Business and you have the capacity for very sophisticated biomedical engineering, plus the business know-how to move innovation from the lab to the clinic.
Michigan attracts exceptional people - both students and faculty - and collaboration is in our institutional DNA. No matter your research interest, there’s likely someone here who would be happy to help make your work stronger.
In addition to Engineering and Medicine, BME faculty come from disciplines that include:
- Public Health
- General Sciences
“The problems that you encounter in medicine today are usually bigger than any one person can tackle” BME department chair Lonnie Shea
Michigan BME at a glance
- One of the largest BME graduate programs in the U.S.
- Has awarded more graduate degrees than any other BME department in the country.
- One of the only universities in the country with top-ranked engineering, medical, and business schools on the same campus.
- Accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
- Six graduate concentrations: bioelectrical, biomaterials, biomechanics, biomedical imaging, biotechnology and medical product development.
- Graduate, undergraduate and combined bachelors/masters program.
- Facilities include state-of-the-art labs in Lurie Biomedical Engineering and Carl Gerstacker building, plus biomedical labs throughout the college of engineering and the Medical School.
- A $20 million endowment, seeded by the The Wallace H. Coulter Foundation (Coulter Translational Research Program), supports research in technologies that promise progress toward commercial development and clinical practice.
- Every core faculty member is involved in translational research with distinguished medical clinicians on a variety of projects.
- 200 undergraduates
- More than 200 graduate students.
- 27 faculty, 21 with full-time BME appointment.
- About 100 affiliates in med school & LSA