Applications are accepted for the fall term only. Submit all materials online through the Rackham Graduate School. Do not mail materials to the Biomedical Engineering Department.
- Ph.D. Applicants: December 1st (Note: New deadline!)
- M.S. Applicants: January 15th
Prepare your Application
Once an application is submitted, the materials cannot be modified. Please review your application carefully before you submit it.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation from people best qualified to speak to your academic and research skills.
- Letters are submitted online.
- If your recommender does not want to submit their letter online, have them contact Maria Steele.
Step 1: Upload a Scanned Copy of the Official Transcript to ApplyWeb
- All applicants must upload a scanned copy, front and back, of their official transcript/academic record issued by the Registrar or Records Office, to ApplyWeb for each bachelor’s, master’s, professional, or doctoral degree earned or in progress. The scanned copy of the official transcript is used for initial review by the graduate program faculty.
- If you are attending or have graduated from a Non-U.S. institution, review the Required Academic Credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions for requirements by country.
Step 2: After an Offer of Admission, Submit the Official Transcript
- An official transcript must be submitted to Rackham only after an offer of admission is made.
- Please see Rackham’s website for information on how to submit transcripts/academic records to the Rackham Graduate School.
Statement of Purpose
The statement of purpose should include your research interests and the name(s) of the faculty whom you are interested in working.
The personal statement should include information on your life experiences and background, including what led you to pursue a degree in biomedical engineering.
Admission typically requires a 3.5 GPA (4.0 scale). This is a guideline and is not strict.
- The general GRE is not required for our Ph.D. or M.S. programs.
- Our focus is on academic and research potential, we have no set minimum GRE scores if you do submit them.
- If you do take the GRE, scores are valid for five years. We accept scores that expire during the application process providing the application is submitted before the expiration date.
Institution code: 1839
TOEFL, ECPE, IELTS, and MELAB
Rackham English Proficiency Exemptions
You qualify for an exemption from taking an English proficiency examination if one of the following criteria are met:
- You are a native speaker of English.
- You completed all of your undergraduate education and earned an undergraduate degree at an institution where all classes are taught exclusively in English.
- You completed all of your graduate education and earned a graduate degree at an institution where all classes are taught exclusively in English.
- You are a current U-M student.
Examples of meeting the English Proficiency Exemption criteria:
- You completed the last three years of your undergraduate degree at the University of Michigan, and in addition, earned a Master’s degree that was one and one-half years in duration at the University of London.
- You completed the last two years of your undergraduate degree at the University of Melbourne, and in addition, earned a Master’s degree from the University of Michigan.
Example of not meeting the English Proficiency Exemption criteria:
- You completed two years of an undergraduate degree program at an overseas institution (Fudan University) where the medium of instruction is a language other than English. You then transferred to an institution (Monash University) where all classes are taught exclusively in English and earned a degree from that institution.
- IBT TOEFL minimum overall score is 84
- IELTS minimum overall score is 6.5
Institution code 1839
More information about required tests
Visit the Rackham Graduate School website.
If you or your recommenders experience technical difficulty while applying, please see Rackham’s website.
Applicants who would like to check the status of their materials, including GRE and TOEFL scores, should visit Rackham’s website.
The BME Department typically makes decisions by the middle of April. Applicants are notified of decisions via email.
If an applicant is recommended for admission, Rackham will contact the applicant if additional information is required to finalize the admission.
Applicants whose admission has been finalized by Rackham may request to defer their admission for one year. The request should be sent to Maria Steele and should include the reason for the deferral.