Graduate BME Innovative Design Team – BME 599
Class is organized as a biomedical incubator and takes students through the entire biomedical design and development process, from exploring clinical problems, proposing a design, budgeting and fundraising in the first semester to building and testing a prototype and managing regulatory and manufacturing issues in the second semester.
- Organized as biomedical incubator
- Modeled on successful innovation value chain: idea generation; prioritization; funding; product development; distribution
- Clinical lecture series exposes students to problems in approximately 10 medical specialties; teams generally form around five of the issues*
- Clinical presentations are complemented by workshops on team building, business planning, manufacturing, marketing, IP/patentability, and FDA regulation
- Students are encouraged to enter national and international design competitions