BME Student Receives CFF Student Traineeship Award

This awards program is intended to introduce students to cystic fibrosis research and encourage them to remain engaged in the field.

Congratulations to BME Sequential Undergraduate/Graduate Studies (SUGS) student Arianna Markey, who has received a Student Traineeship Award from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF). This awards program is intended to introduce students to cystic fibrosis research and encourage them to remain engaged in the field.

“My project focuses on analyzing the biodistribution of polymeric nanoparticles in different animal models so that we can better understand how physiological differences between species impact delivery to tissues impacted by CF,” said Markey, who earned her bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Engineering from U-M in spring 2024. “This award will provide materials and supplies, funding for me to attend my first research conference, and salary support for the summer. When I saw the award notification email I felt so much excitement, and also felt really thankful. Everyone in the DYNAMED Lab has had a hand in making this possible, and I was so happy for them to know!”

“Arianna was the first student in my group who joined as a rising senior last summer in 2023,” said Alexandra Piotrowski-Daspit, Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering and Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Division. “She helped to set up the lab and performed crucial experiments for an ongoing collaborative project that is now expanding into new directions. I am incredibly proud of her and this recognition is a testament to her dedication, hard work, and passion for advancing our lab’s research in cystic fibrosis.”

The Sequential Undergraduate/Graduate Studies (SUGS) program permits students upon completion of their BSE degree to double count some credits between their BSE and MSE or MEng degree, allowing them to complete the graduate portion of the degree in two terms. Students should speak with the department advising staff to learn more about the SUGS application process and procedures. Students also have the opportunity to do research in the lab and complete a thesis project. Please review the CoE Bulletin page for Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s Programs for further information.