Proposals for the 2017-2018 cycle will be accepted starting Nov 1, 2016 through Competition Space and are due by Friday, February 3, 2017.
The objective of the University of Michigan Coulter Translational Research Partnership Program (Coulter Program) is to bring medical innovations into healthcare through a commercial entity. As such, projects funded through Coulter will need to demonstrate:
- Clearly envisioned medical product concepts with high potential for healthcare impact
- Scientific merit leading up to the proposed translational research proposal
- Translational research plans to de-risk key technical hurdles and address commercial questions
- Strength and expertise of the interdisciplinary faculty partnership
- Industry or investor interest
- Clear path to company formation with angel or venture capital funding or to direct licensing of technology IP by a medical device, pharmaceutical, or diagnostics company who completes development and commercialization of the envisioned product
Proposals demonstrating the ability to meet these objectives will receive greater consideration for funding.
It is strongly suggested that applicants discuss their proposal with the Coulter Program Director Thomas Marten (email@example.com; (734) 647-1680) prior to submission to explore the commercial potential for your project and fit for Coulter funding opportunities.
Please see the Eligibility page for more information.
Application Review Process
Please see the Timeline page for more information.
Funding Submission Packet
Application materials are available on Competition Space, and can be downloaded here:
- Funding Overview and Application Instructions
- FY18 Coulter Proposal Template
- FY2018 Coulter Budget Spreadsheet (.xls)
- FY18 References/Literature Cited
- NIH-Style Biosketch Template
Details for Application Materials:
- Proposal (7 pages, 10 pt. font minimum)
- Please follow the template for the research proposal which can be downloaded here or on Competition Space: FY2018 Coulter Proposal Template
- Budget Spreadsheet (.xls format)
- Please follow the template for the budget and submit it as an excel spreadsheet. The template can be downloaded here or on Competition Space: FY2018 Coulter Budget Spreadsheet (.xls)
- Projects are funded for 1-year time periods at ~$100,000
- Requests for larger amounts should be discussed with Thomas Marten, Coulter Program Director (CPD).
- Seed grants £ $25,000 will be considered for projects requiring finite achievements (i.e. generation of data or a prototype necessary to apply for subsequent translational funding).
- Allowable budget expenditures include: salary and fringe benefits for project personnel, materials and supplies, equipment, and pre-negotiated travel. Salary requests need to be justified based upon effort.
- Budget line items for outside consultants (i.e. regulatory assessment, market research and prototype manufacturing) are allowable, but will be managed through the Coulter CPD short code.
- The clinical co-PI must be included in the budget and his/her budget percentage MAY be cost-shared with the clinical department. Typically, 5% to 10% of a clinical collaborator’s salary is budgeted, of which up to half will be charged to the Coulter grant and at least half will be cost-shared with the clinical department.
- Combined co-PI salaries and benefits should not exceed 20% of the total project budget.
- Tuition for graduate students is allowable based on graduate student expertise and effort level on the project. Large tuition line items on budgets are discouraged. See budget template for additional details.
- Large capital purchases are prohibited. Funds may not be used for construction or renovation.
- A department signature is required on the bottom of the budget for any cost share commitment.
- References/Literature cited
- References/Literature cited should be included as supplemental material in a separate document.
- NIH-style Biosketches
- Biosketches for PIs and key personnel involved in the project should be included as supplemental material in a separate document.