August 21, 2023
The BME Commons, teaching, learning, teamwork, collaboration and ideation space is a gathering place for the BME community.
Several key features of the BME Commons include:
- Open and welcoming spaces for socializing, building community
- Structured and technology-equipped areas for ideation, collaboration, teamwork
- Enhanced prototyping, fabrication, and testing spaces
- Specialized spaces for enhanced training and learning
- New instructional labs for biomechanics, biotechnology, instrumentation
- Flexible classroom for lecture, active learning, and seminar formats
- Infrastructure for co-curricular student groups
The goals of the space are to foster teamwork and community, integrate professional practice into BME curriculum, and promote engineering / industry / medicine interactions. “We’re excited to have these outstanding design and maker spaces, which were created specifically to enhance experiential learning for biomedical engineering students and faculty.” – Jan Stegemann, Ph.D., BME Associate Chair for Master’s Education, Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Project Lead.
The link to the BME Design Spaces website is: http://sites.google.com/umich.edu/bmedesignspaces