An autoimmune disease, similar to allergies, is a condition resulting from an abnormal immune response to a normal body part. There are at least 80 types of autoimmune diseases, and neraly any body part can be involved.
- Allogeneic cell transplantation
- Computational and experimental biology
- Tissue-engineered constructs
- Nanoparticle drug delivery methods
Relevant Research from UM-BME Faculty
Dr. Geeta Mehta – Biological Applications of Surfaces with Extreme Wettabilities
- In collaboration with Dr. Anish Tuteja, we have developed various surfaces with extreme
wettabilities, that can be used to control the behavior of cells, bacteria and liquids.
- Paper substrates patterned with superomniphilic and superomniphobic areas are able to
control where high grade serous ovarian cancer OVCAR3 cells settle and attach to the
- Anti-biofouling polymer coatings can prevent bacteria adhesion to maintain surfaces
with little or no biofouling.
- Paper microfluidic devices to detect low concentrations of E. coli use a background of
superomniphobic paper and a superomniphilic channels to lyse and determine the
presence of E coli.